Part 3 – What Shall We Do?
The Teachings of Jesus and the Apostles
Jesus Himself and the Apostles are the only source of truth which provides us with absolute confidence.
Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief cornerstone;
Jesus the Chief Cornerstone
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
- Jesus personally validated His chosen apostles! He instructs us to believe on Him, through their words!
And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
- This foundational teaching includes repentance, and believing THE GOSPEL.
There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: the same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
In this conversation with Nicodemus, Jesus revealed two foundational aspects of salvation. Being:
- born of water
- born of Spirit.
Remember Jesus is laying a foundation, and His Apostles will build on this foundation alone!
He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)
- In this verse Jesus provides another foundational teaching. We must believe according to THE WORD!
- When we believe according to the Word of God – preached by an apostle sent from God – we will receive the Holy Spirit!
John 3:7-8, Berean Study Bible
The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.
- Notice! There will be a sound when you receive the Holy Spirit!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
- Believing in the Name of the Son of God (THE NAME OF JESUS) is a foundational teaching!
Jesus is the chief cornerstone! He laid foundational stones concerning the Gospel. Real truth must rest on this solid foundation and no other.
- We must believe on Him through His words given by an Apostle sent from God.
- Believing in Him will include repentance.
- Believing in Him will include being born of water and born of Spirit.
- The birth of the Spirit will be identified by a sound.
- Believing in Him will include believing in the name of JESUS.